Saturday, August 20, 2016

Dance Gavin Dance Drops First Single From "MOTHERSHIP"


A decade of unique progressive music. Three different vocalists. An upcoming release of their eighth album. Since 2005, this band STILL has yet to disappoint fans or create something that doesn’t completely revolutionize the progressive hardcore scene, while still taking their last project and blowing it right out of the water.


Dance Gavin Dance is a progressive hardcore band from Sacramento, California. They have released five full-length albums, two live albums, and one EP. Their eighth release, entitled “Mothership,” is set to release on October 7th. Since I am a strong supporter and major fan of these artists, I was beyond excited when I learned online of the new release and their tour coming to St. Louis this fall. Going in tandem with this excitement, I was overwhelmed when I saw a post on my Twitter feed stating that they had dropped their first single off of their upcoming full-length. I immediately dropped what I was doing to listen to that song. Since then, along with all day yesterday, I have not been able to stop listening to “Chucky Vs. The Giant Tortoise.”


This brilliant new single is something that, much like each subsequent release from Dance Gavin Dance, brings something entirely new to the table the band continually sets. In comparison to the early stages of the band, particularly since Downtown Battle Mountain (their first full-length release, 2007), each band member has made incredible forward motion in terms of musical progression. Specifically Jon Mess; his screams defined themselves over the years, and his work on this first single is something that should not be overlooked.


Speaking of strong vocalists, let’s not forget the tough new sound Tilian Pearson (vocals since 2012) has on the first single. For those that aren’t fans of their music, or who still have no clue what I’m talking about, Tilian Pearson sings his songs with soaring sounds of a tenor, and does so in the most original way possible. His vocals can and have matched Jon Mess’ rough sound that he’s created for the vocal atmosphere of the band; however, Tilian typically has more of a “pretty” sound. Pearson brings both sides of his vocal talent in “Chucky Vs. The Giant Tortoise.” Tilian and Jon often pair together great lyrical combinations, even if they do sound like absolute nonsense to some. Lyrics such as "pass me some poison, let me take a hit," and "failure is painful and lying is fun" are two great examples of the fun and bouncy lyrics that DGD often incorporates in their music. The raspy high notes he attacks in this first single rival previous vocalist Jonny Craig. These vocals are a force to be reckoned with, and I don't imagine this pattern will stop here.


Yes, I’m a vocalist. Yes, I focus on vocals with pretty well every song or piece of music that passes through my eardrums. That isn’t to say, however, that I can’t or don’t appreciate the musical and instrumental qualities, as well. This new single has some unique new sounds, as well as riffs and rhythms that mirror great work that has been done on albums such as “Instant Gratification” (2015) and their self-titled album (2008). The intro to the new single sounds like something straight from their self-titled album, while the riffs, rhythms, and repetition of breakdowns seems to be inspired by work down on their last two albums. I am personally reminded of songs like “Variation” and “Honey Revenge” in terms of the music that supports the vocals.


Dance Gavin Dance has been my favorite band for some time now. Each new project they take one, each new piece they release, each show they play; these gentlemen never cease to amaze me with the spectacular work they do. The 10th Anniversary Tour is still to this day the best show I’ve ever attended. I cannot explain how excited to hear “Mothership” upon its October 7th release AND to see them perform in St. Louis just two weeks after their eighth album drops to the general public. For those who don’t know about Dance Gavin Dance, I would strongly suggest broadening your musical horizons and checking them out. For those who aren’t fans of their music, I suggest giving them another chance with “Chucky Vs. The Giant Tortoise.” And for all of the fans out there like myself, stay pumped. This new album is going to be incredible. Stay frosty, friends.


You can check out the new single here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDCHx4tPv-Y

Andrew



No comments:

Post a Comment